Skip Navigation
TSTC students and employees: TSTC Portal. Click here.
Veterans Enrolled at Texas State Technical College

Texas State Technical College Student Veteran boarding helicopter with dog image


Transition to Technical

Our goal is to make your transition from military to student life a seamless one. You’ve served our country -- let us help serve you in your career transition. Fortunately, as a qualified veteran and service member, you’ve earned a host of state and federal benefits. There’s also student clubs and veterans centers across the state that can help you make the move from active military to using your skills in a great paying job.

Texas State Technical College (TSTC) takes pride in providing the best career training for our veterans and is a strong advocate for veterans to get hired after graduation.

But before you can walk into class on the first day, there are a few things you need to complete.

The following is a step-by-step guide created to assist veterans, service members and their dependents in getting through the admissions process and obtaining your GI Bill® benefits.


Military Friendly School


Step 1:

Apply for Admissions and complete the required admissions process. (Admissions Checklist) Veterans are recommended to check their residency status with the Admissions Office.

If your HOME OF RECORD is Texas and you have been discharged within 12 months, please submit a copy of your DD214 (member 4) to the Admission Office. Please to view other residency waivers available for Service members, Veterans and their dependents.

An acceptance letter containing your student ID will be mailed to you.

Step 2:

Apply for your GI Bill® and/or Texas Hazelwood Act

Apply for your VA Educational (GI Bill®) Benefits online using VETS.GOV

You will receive a Certificate of Eligibility letter from the Veterans Administration in 4-6 weeks. Please submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to the Veterans Office.


NOTE: If you have previously used your GI Bill® benefits at another school then you will have to complete a transfer form.  Please visit your Veterans Program Officier on campus for assistance with the forms below.  An updated Certificate of Eligibility will be required by the Veteran Services Office.

Texas Veterans may apply for the Hazlewood Tuition Exemption, if eligible for less then 100% of Post 9/11 benefit or using another GI Bill® benefit that is not dedicated to payment of tuition and fees. Submit the Hazlewood application to your Veteran Services Office.

Step 3:

Submit all required documentation

Veterans are required to submit the following documentation to the Veterans Center.

Request Official Military Transcripts from the Joint Service Transcript System, or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)

Dependents using GI Bill® Chapter 35 or Chapter 33 transfer of entitlements must submit the following documents:


Step 4:

Apply for Financial Aid

Service Members, Veterans and their dependents are encouraged to apply for Financial Aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. To learn more about financial assistance, please visit our Financial Aid Office website.


Step 5:

Register with VA eBenefits

Create an eBenefits PREMIUM account to check your deposits from VA along with the history of your enrollment certification status and months of benefits remaining. You can setup direct deposit or update your address with VA.

Please visit the Texas Veterans Portal to be connected to State Benefits and Services.

*You may request that your VocRehab  counselor send VA Form 28-1905 directly to the Veterans Program Officer.

To Contact Veteran Services in Your Area:

TSTC in Harlingen or Fort Bend:

TSTC in Marshall or North Texas:

TSTC in Waco or Williamson County:

TSTC in Sweetwater, Abilene, Brownwood or Breckenridge:


Texas Genuine Logo
Texas State Technical College 3801 Campus Drive Waco, Texas 76705 254-799-3611
© 2018 Texas State Technical College